Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Back in Ottawa this week

Well I'm here in Ottawa for a week and will have a few dieting challenges here too!
Buying the right amount food so that you dont get spoilage is important as no one likes to see food go to waste. Luckily we have a good selection close by at a local grocery store. Not always the freshest of foods, but you can certainly get through a week.

Fat free greek yogurt was one of my first purchases back. I seriously love the stuff and its the ice cream of the diet world to me. My wife did some groceries while I had a few friends over to play some board games. This is usually the first challenge. I provide snacks to them and there in front of me is a massive bowl of junk food. 24 odd weeks in and I have been able to supress the urge to nibble.

The second challenge is that I'm off my routine for evening snack and often either forget to eat it or eat it very late in the evening. Yogurt and blueberries are probably my favourite and I was able to have that last night before going to bed.

What has been really nice these past few days is eating veggies which are uncooked. I'm still not brave enough to try this in India, next week I will be back in India on the Thursday morning at 1:00 am and my goal is to try a few raw veggies on the Friday to give myself the cushion of being potentially sick over the weekend. Yes that sounds crazy to me too. I will definitely be washing them.

Speaking of washing there are a number of products out there that are sold as cleaners for food. However in blind testing they fair no better and sometimes worse that just plain rinsing with water.

I'll avoid broad leafy veggies this time and focus on veggies with flat surface areas (smaller relative surface area) like a tomato versus something like a cauliflower/broccoli which has a massive surface area to hid all those bugs,




No comments:

Post a Comment